Gird your loins my friends, it’s time for…
(and thank you to Peas & Crayons for being the brains behind this beautiful eating operation)
Not gonna lie, my eats were pretty stellar today.
Breakfast was a portable cup of delicious smoothie that included frozen strawberries, a frozen banana, fresh pineapple, and about a cup of almond milk (plus a little xanthan gum for thickening).
I took this baby to-go, as I had a long car ride ahead.
At least traffic was light! I headed downtown to meet my coworker Liz, before carpooling to Brock University in St. Catharines. We have a coaches conference coming up there in the spring so we were just doing a little site visit.
And that is where I scored my lunch.
A giant chicken stir fry, and the cafeteria had one of those circular grills, so you pick out all your ingredients and they stir fry it in front of you. Love those. Why couldn’t my school have one of those?!
Our conference coordinator at the university treated us to lunch, which was a nice surprise. She really knows the way to my heart and is currently in the running for my favourite person (in the conference coordinating category ;))
It may have been dinner that truly stole the show for me today though…
Protein-packed quinoa stirfry (I’ll put the recipe up at the end of this post).
I love quinoa more and more each time I eat it. It has totally replaced rice for me, and it just has a good healthy taste. With every bite I get the feeling that I am eating something that is so absolutely good for me, and I love it. Of course it helps that it is tasty.
Friends, if you are on the fence about trying quinoa because it has kind of a weird appearance, just buck up and do it. You will not regret it. It is fast becoming my favourite easy meal.
I am off to hit the pavement for a run (didn’t happen this morning, whoooops!) I will see you cheeky minxes later!
Here is the recipe:
Protein-Packed Quinoa Stirfry
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 can any kind beans, rinsed (I used a bean medley that included chick peas, kidney beans and white beans)
- 1 can green beans, rinsed (you could also use fresh, but I only had canned)
- half a large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup salsa
1. In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray (I used olive oil spray, or you could just use a couple teaspoons of oil), add your gaaaahlic and onion. Cook on low for about 6-8 minutes until translucent.
2. Add both cans of beans, stir, and continue to cook until the beans are warm.
3. Add in the cooked quinoa, stir.
4. Add in the salsa, and stir it alllll together.
Annnnd, deliciousness is born 😉
Stay full, my friends 🙂